Here’s a sample Cover Letter we recently produced for a Web Developer in Malaysia.
In this article, you’ll learn:
- About the Web Developer Role
- What Hiring Manager Look For In Web Developer Cover Letter
- Web Developer Job Opportunities
- Job Hunting Tips from our Resident Headhunter
Web Developer Cover Letter [Full Sample]
Here’s a full Web Developer Cover Letter sample, which we wrote for a client recently.
[If you know the name of the Hiring Manager, personalise your application by addressing the person directly. Job ads on LinkedIn, for example, display the name of the person posting the ad.]
It is with great enthusiasm that I submit my application for the position of Senior Web Developer at XYZ Co. Throughout my 4-year career as a Full Stack Developer, I have developed wide-ranging IT competencies and am highly skilled in a suite of software applications. I’ve led diverse and cross-functional teams across regions, and have developed a well-rounded skill set, including first-rate software & application development, project management, and technical architecture design & development. Having established a track record in delivering projects and software solutions for global clients, I am confident that my skills and expertise make me an ideal candidate for your organisation. [Match your skills and strengths to the job and industry requirements, and include a brief overview of your experience. Share metrics if you have them to provide context and scale for your work]
- In my current role as Lead Web Developer with IABC Co., I am responsible for the interchange of data between server and users, and concurrently serve as a key member of the Cloud team. My deep expertise across different functions such as performance optimization, troubleshooting, and client/vendor management enables me to collaborate effectively with cross-functional departments to align company goals and strategies. During my tenure, I also introduced initiatives to streamline work processes to enhance workforce productivity and efficiency, and successfully smoothened project governance processes.
My strong leadership skills, analytical & technical skills, and practical capabilities in programming, have been key to my success in my current and previous roles. I am also a team player who excels in motivating team members to exceptional performance. My expertise across a wide spectrum of project & software management functions enables me to support senior management teams in realising organisational goals. With an acute sense of business acumen, coupled with my wide-ranging technical competencies, I am confident of developing strategies, processes and projects that will be of value to your organization. [Focus again on your top skills as required by the role or firm. Here, highlight key experiences that are directly relevant to the target role.]
I am thrilled at the possibility of being part of such a renowned firm, and would love the opportunity to meet with you and discuss the value that I can bring to XYZ Co. I appreciate your time and consideration, and I look forward to hearing from you. Please feel free to contact me at any time via mobile at +60 1234 5678 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. [Finally, end your Cover Letter with a call-to-action – show your excitement to meet your potential employer, and provide your contact details.]
About the Web Developer Role
Web Developers have a knack for identifying insights from large swathes of data. They collect raw data from a variety of sources, and discern and examine data from different angles. Beyond drawing empirical data, Web Developers must be skilled at cleaning, tweaking, processing and evaluating data to gather maximum insights from limited data and resources.
As a Web Developer, you must also possess business acumen, critical thinking and intuition to synergise information and translate patterns from data into actionable insights for businesses.
Good communication, presentation, and stakeholder management skills are critical. Web Developers are essentially storytellers, who must be able to share and articulate their findings effectively with the right stakeholders.
What Hiring Managers Look for in Web Developer Cover Letters
- Data Integration: Highlight your knowledge in integrating and backing up data from previous systems, databases, and/or back-end services.
- Software Documentation: Many companies and IT teams prefer web developers who are capable of creating and maintaining software documentation.
- Up-To-Date: New trends and technologies are always emerging. Ensure that you’re up-to-date with the latest programming trends and web development best practices. Show that you are continuously learning, and are open to new knowledge through training, conferences, and group discussion.
- Use Metrics! Single out your best achievements – metrics are crucial! Use numbers to substantiate the scale of the project you have managed or supported, and quantify the project’s success.
Web Developer Job Opportunities
Job Hunting Tips from our Resident Headhunter
- Create a winning cover letter and send it along your resume. The cover letter will serve as an introduction about yourself and is a great venue to answer the question “Why should we hire you?”
- Be active on social media, particularly on LinkedIn. Make sure to create a strong online profile that represents you and you professional experiences. Here’s our comprehensive guide on writing a great LinkedIn profile.
Before You Go…
Before you start sending out applications, send us your resume for a free CV feedback analysis from our team. We’ll review your CV in detail, share personalised feedback on its strengths and weaknesses, and show you how you can improve it.