Here’s a sample resume we recently produced for a software engineer in Malaysia.
Senior Software Engineer
Tel.: +60 12 1234 5678 | Email: email@example.com | Nationality: Malaysian
- Accomplished Senior Software Engineer with >9 years’ experience in designing, developing, testing and maintaining enterprise web applications and software solutions for Banking and Finance MNCs; highly proficient overseeing end-to-end delivery of software development lifecycle.
- Excel in designing and developing intuitive full-stack enterprise web applications, applying SOLID design principles and software design patterns across multiple technology stacks. Develops scalable and sustainable systems, with expertise in debugging complex technical issues involving multiple systems.
- Adept at leveraging Sprint and Scrum methodologies to drive process efficiencies across multiple cross-functional development teams of up to 6.
- Gifted communicator, able to coordinate with internal and external stakeholders, translating complex ideas into actionable outcomes to meet business objectives.
- Completed end-to-end Phase 1 development lifecycle of proprietary trading system in 9 months, used by >100K end-users.
- Spearheaded legacy system reconfiguration project, slashing transaction time by 20% and increased maximum transaction volume by 10% for Citibank.
[This section gives a good helicopter view of the candidate. Quantifying your achievements, where possible, also helps to give scale to the current responsibilities.]
|Web Applications||Angular, JQuery, HTML, CSS, JSP|
|Database Software||MySQL, MS SQL, MariaDB, SSIS|
|Miscellaneous Tools||REST APIs, Jira, Sprint & Scrum|
[Software development is a huge field. For software engineers and other technical roles, it would be best to name the technical tools, frameworks and languages that you are familiar with.]
Software & Application Design
|SDLC Project Delivery||Continuous Integration & Continuous Deployment|
|Project Management||System Migration & Integration||Technical Architecture Design & Development|
|Spring & Agile Methodology||Cross-Functional Team Leadership||Internal Team Development|
[Ensure the keywords here mirror those used in the job ad. The first round of vetting is often done by a software scanner. This section helps pad the CV with key phrases related to risk management, which are necessary to get past those scanners.]
SOFTWARE ENGINEER Feb 2013 – Jan 2016
BANK OF MALAYSIA, Malaysia
- Direct cross-functional teams of up to 4 full-stack developers to oversee 5 end-to-end software development lifecycle of projects with >100K end-users. Individual contributor in resolving complex back-end and front-end technical issues. [Opening line perfectly summarizes the candidate’s current role as it speaks about the size of the team and primary responsibility.]
- Gather technical customer requirements, plan and assign team members’ responsibilities and deliverables. Drive continuous integration and delivery of projects by collaborating with team members during sprint cycles, conducting automation testing and implementing iterative changes.
- Author and review documentations, proposing recommendations and improvements to mitigate potential risks.
- Secured time savings and risk control of ~70% by building and implementing automation processes after identifying potential bottleneck and streaming opportunities. [Talk about your contributions (and the approaches you took on to achieve them) to the company and how it affected the operations in the relevant locations where possible.]
- Completed end-to-end Phase 1 development lifecycle of proprietary trading system in 9 months, used by >100K end-users. [Cite quantifiable metrics to support your achievements. Do, however, be aware of your company confidentiality clause.]
- Promoted to Senior Software Engineer in 3 years. [Don’t be afraid to mention your promotion in your resume, especially if you achieved this in a short time frame]
- Responsible for revamping Citibank’s overall legacy system, collaborating with team of 6 developers to enhance Citibank’s core financial products and growing national client base. Resolved complex back-end and front-end technical issues as individual contributor, applying Best Practices and SOLID Design Principles. [Simple, clear overview of the job you previously done. Notice also how the remaining bullet points are shorter. No need to go into deep detail about previous similar work scopes.]
- Partnered with key stakeholders, business users and external vendors to identify issues and proposed recommendations and improvements to mitigate potential risks.
- Reduced transaction time by 20% and increased maximum transaction volume by 10% by redesigning bank’s overall legacy system and implementing 4 new features.
- Awarded Department Best Software Engineer award for 2Q 2011.
EDUCATION & PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor of Science (Honours) | Computer Science | Malaysia University | Malaysia | 2009
- Technical Skills: MATLAB, Tableau, Jira, Asana, GitHub, Microsoft Office Suite
- Languages: Fluent in English, Bahasa Melayu, and Chinese
- Availability: 1 Month’s Notice
References available upon request
[There’s no need to list your references; if HR is interested in you they will ask you for them.]
Want a winning CV like the Software Engineer Resume Sample above? Click the button below to get our full set of resume samples, delivered straight to your inbox!
About the Software Engineer or Software Developer Role
Software engineers build computer applications and software according to rigorous software development methodologies and design principles. They are familiar with the entire software development life cycle, from requirement gathering to development, documentation, testing, debugging, and product rollout.
The best software engineers build scalable, maintainable and reusable code that is efficient and easy to understand. They juggle effectively between business and technology, and are able to translate complex business objectives into technical requirements.
Software engineers are also curious lifelong learners who consistently expose themselves to a variety of programming languages and frameworks. As these are always changing, the best software developers are constantly broadening their knowledge and skill sets.
Interested in a software development role? You can get a jumpstart through programming bootcamps. However, applicants with a Computer Science or related technical degrees are preferred candidates. A Computer Science degree reassures employers that the candidate has a basic understanding of overarching software development principles and patterns that a bootcamp may not teach. For applicants who do not have a Computer Science degree, it is best to showcase your skills with Personal Projects.
Because of the complex nature of the role, crafting a software engineer resume is rather unique.
What Hiring Managers Look Out For in Software Engineer Resumes:
- Specify the tools you are familiar with. Software development is a massive field with hundreds of languages, frameworks and tools. Be specific about the languages and frameworks you excel in, making it easier for Hiring Managers to understand if you have the requirements for the role.
- Show more than tell – use your Achievements to demonstrate your proficiency. Describe how the projects you’ve worked on have contributed to your company’s revenue stream and bottom line. You could share how you have improved efficiency in operations or processes; for example, custom scripts you’ve written and implemented to enhance your team’s productivity.
Additional Software Engineer Resume Writing Tips
- If you are a fresh graduate, or are thinking of making a career switch to Software Development, mention personal projects that you have embarked on or completed outside of your day job. This demonstrates your initiative and zeal for learning, placing you a cut above other prospective candidates.
- Show that you can work both independently and as part of a larger team or department. Some software engineers may prefer to think through complex problems on their own, but software development is often project-based work! Software engineers able to collaborate effectively with teams are sought after by recruiters.
Software Engineer/Software Developer Job Opportunities
- Join LinkedIn groups or follow companies you wish to work for to keep abreast with new job openings.
- Alternatively, you can reach out to these headhunters in Malaysia to learn about any vacancies they may be trying to fill out.
Job Hunting Tips from our Resident Headhunter
- Create a winning cover letter and send it along your resume. The cover letter will serve as an introduction about yourself and is a great venue to answer the question “Why should we hire you?”
- Be active on social media, particularly on LinkedIn. Make sure to create a strong online profile that represents you and you professional experiences. Here’s our comprehensive guide on writing a great LinkedIn profile.
- Before you start sending out applications, get a free CV Feedback Session with our team.
More Useful Links
If you found this article useful, you might also like:
- How to Write a Winning Resume: Your Ultimate CV Guide
- How to Write a Cover Letter: Your Ultimate Cover Letter Guide
- How to Use LinkedIn to Find a Job: Your Ultimate LinkedIn Guide
- List of Headhunters in Malaysia
- Cover Letter Samples, Templates & Tips
- Downloadable Free Resume Templates
Back to Resume Samples, Templates & Tips
Free Confidential CV Discussion
Fill out the form to the below, and we’ll get in touch with you
to have a short discussion about your CV for the Malaysia job market.
We’ll ask questions about your career goals and point out areas where
you can improve your resume. Let’s have a candid discussion about
the CV writing services you need and see if we’ll be able to help.
The consultation is free and completely non-obligatory