Here is a sample resume we recently produced for a Relationship Manager in Malaysia.
BUSINESS RELATIONSHIP MANAGER
Tel.: +60 12 XXXX XXXX | Email: email@example.com | Nationality: Malaysian
- Relationship Manager with 8+ years’ experience in private banking. Currently managing ultra high net worth clients across Southeast Asia with combined AUM of 200 million USD.
- Outstanding success in growing assets under management across expanding markets. Consistent record in leading teams to surpass management targets and grow sales of complex structured products by 25% YOY.
[This section gives a good helicopter view of the candidate. Quantifying the current role where possible also helps to give scale to the current responsibilities.]
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
|Portfolio Management||Business Development|
|Client Acquisition||Growth Strategy|
|New Market Penetration||Client Advisory|
[Ensure the keywords here mirror those used in the job ad. The first round of vetting is often done by a software scanner. This section helps to pad the CV with key relationship management phrases necessary to get past those scanners.]
DBS BANK, Malaysia
- Lead acquisition of ultra high net worth clients across emerging markets in Southeast Asia. Currently managing over 30 clients with combined AUM of 200 million USD. [Short and simple, but perfectly summarises what the candidate’s main responsibility is. Quantifying the role adds even more strength to the opening line.]
- Establish and improve relationships with key ultra high net worth clients. Understand clients’ individual needs and tailor product recommendations of investment instruments to grow wealth and achieve financial freedom. [This line speaks about strategies on how the candidate manages relationship with key clients.]
- Liaise closely and actively with team of analysts to identify market trends. Conceptualise and propose alternative investment approaches during recession.
- Serve as client adviser and recommend different conventional and unconventional investment instruments to maximise portfolio returns according to clients financial status and requirements. These include company acquisitions, commercial projects, bonds, securities, and property investments. [Speak about investment methods and structured products you’ve been successful at selling to clients. This will establish your deep understanding on asset management.]
- Acquire UHNW clients by leveraging on DBS’ wide network across Southeast Asia. Tailor tax, legal, credit and investment solutions for complex offshore trusts.
- Expanded high net worth clientele base by 25% and increased Assets Under Management (AUM) of existing portfolio by 15%. [Include career achievements to make your CV memorable, and include metrics to substantiate your contributions where possible.]
- Achieved sales target of MYR 25 million within first year of joining DBS within Malaysia market alone.
ANZ BANKING GROUP, Malaysia
- Managed total of 12 high net worth Malaysia-based clients. Responsible for understanding clients’ financial planning needs and developing personalised portfolios based on their risk appetites. [Simple, clear overview of the job you previously done. Notice also how the remaining bullet points are shorter. No need to go into deep detail about previous workscopes.]
- Handled customer accounts servicing, including customer concerns and complaint resolutions.
- Provided personal financial care to clients to strengthen long-term relationships.
EDUCATION & PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS
- Master in Business Administration, University of Malaysia, Malaysia | 2008
- Bachelor of Arts (Hons.) in Economics, University of Malaysia, Malaysia | 1995
- Technical Skills: Microsoft Office, Outlook Express
- Languages: English, Mandarin, Bahasa Melayu
- Availability: 1 month’s notice
References available upon request
[There’s no need to list your references; if HR is interested in you they will ask you for them.]
Want a winning CV like the Relationship Manager Resume Sample above? Click the button below to get our full set of CV samples, delivered straight to your inbox!
About the Relationship Manager Role
Relationship managers fulfill an important function in banks, financial institutions, and wealth management providers. They are responsible in establishing and improving the relationships between the firm and their high net-worth clients. They serve as a trusted adviser of key clients, maximising long-term revenue opportunities for the company.
Relationship manager jobs in Malaysia and across Asian corporate banking are in high demand as banks and other financial institutions look to acquire more revenue from corporate and high net-worth clients. If you are looking to apply as a relationship manager in Malaysia, you need to be able to showcase industry-specific knowledge on top of the general skill sets required of relationship managers on your CV.
In this post, we will show you how to write a winning resume that stands out from the competition and help you land a job as a relationship manager in Malaysia.
Key Pointers Hiring Managers Look for in Relationship Manager Resumes
- Ability to Capture New High Net Worth Clients: The first step towards being a good relationship manager is demonstrating your ability to acquire new customers. And I’m not talking about just ordinary bank customers, but clients who can be qualified as potentially interested in investment products and wealth management solutions.
- Ability to Grow Assets Under Management (AUM): One of the primary expertise of a relationship manager is in client and asset management. By demonstrating how you are able to fully understand your clients’ needs and identify relevant financial products and solutions for them, you can easily support how you successfully managed and grew assets individually which in turn, adds to the total growth of all assets managed by the firm.
- Ability to Sell Complex Structured Products: As a relationship manager, you will spend a great amount of time conceptualising and proposing portfolio solutions to clients that will generate significant sales and revenue for the company. Therefore, hiring managers should be able to see that you can confidently present, discuss, and convince clients to accept your proposed solutions.
- Strong Understanding of Capital Markets: It would also be good to have a good undertsnading of the current capital market and financial trends.
Additional Relationship Manager Resume Writing Tips
- Include portfolio details (such as size and amount) of what you have handled. Show how you were able to drive growth and increases sales by identifying strategies you implemented, quantifying your achievements where possible.
- Aside from extensive financial experience, make sure to include and highlight your communication and organizational skills, sales orientation, self motivation, customer service skills, and computer competencies on your CV. All these add up to being a well-rounded banking executive and relationship management expert.
- Include related sales and/or financial courses you’ve taken, as well are certifications you’ve received to add strength to your profile.
Relationship Management Job Opportunities
- Join LinkedIn groups or follow companies you wish to work for to keep abreast with new job openings.
- Alternatively, you can reach out to these headhunters in Malaysia to learn about any vacancies they may be trying to fill out.
Job Hunting Tips from our Resident Headhunter
- Create a winning cover letter and send it along your resume. The cover letter will serve as an introduction about yourself and is a great venue to answer the question “Why should we hire you?”
- Be active on social media, particularly on LinkedIn. Make sure to create a strong online profile that represents you and you professional experiences. Here’s our comprehensive guide on writing a great LinkedIn profile.
- Before you start sending out applications, get a free CV Feedback Session with our team.
More Useful Links
If you found this article useful, you might also like:
- How to Write a Winning Resume: Your Ultimate CV Guide
- How to Write a Cover Letter: Your Ultimate Cover Letter Guide
- How to Use LinkedIn to Find a Job: Your Ultimate LinkedIn Guide
- List of Headhunters in Malaysia
- Cover Letter Samples, Templates & Tips
- Downloadable Free Resume Templates
Back to Resume Samples, Templates & Tips
Free Confidential CV Discussion
Fill out the form to the below, and we’ll get in touch with you
to have a short discussion about your CV for the Malaysia job market.
We’ll ask questions about your career goals and point out areas where
you can improve your resume. Let’s have a candid discussion about
the CV writing services you need and see if we’ll be able to help.
The consultation is free and completely non-obligatory