Here is a sample resume we recently produced for a Project Manager in Malaysia.
Tel.: +60 12 XXXX XXXX | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org | Nationality: Malaysian
- Product Manager with 10 years of experience in product management and innovative R&D initiatives. Experienced in working with technology partners to introduce new products and services to the local market
- Strong technical background with proven track record in growing business and increasing profitability. Successfully grew product line revenue by 45% within 18 months.
- Single-handedly conceptualised, developed and launched GE’s entry-level home-use standby generator for Southeast Asia to achieve USD 4 million in sales within 6 months
[This section gives a good helicopter view of the candidate. Quantifying the current role where possible also helps to give scale to the current responsibilities.]
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
|Product Development||Sales & Marketing|
|P&L Management||Product Lifecycle Management|
|Market Intelligence||Business Development|
[Ensure the keywords here mirror those used in the job ad. The first round of vetting is often done by a software scanner. This section helps to pad the CV with key product management phrases necessary to get past those scanners.]
GENERAL ELECTRIC, Malaysia
- Lead team of 40 local and regional staff in managing sales and profitability of four product lines under within the appliances segment. Responsible for all aspects of product management and overseeing P&L for product portfolio [The opening line captures all the reader needs to know about the role as it briefly states the size of the team and the candidate’s primary responsibilities.]
- Analyse and understand individual customer needs and deliver end-to-end product solution focused on streamlined, cost-optimised and sustainable growth initiatives
- Develop corporate relationships and liaise with key partners to come up with local and regional product offerings; negotiate with partners on all aspects of service packages including financial and technical details to maximise revenue for company
- Oversee full spectrum of new product marketing and sales strategies including production of marketing materials, crafting of internal communication materials, and decision on key price points; advise sales teams on product features and unique selling points [Product management touches sales and marketing as part of effective product release and distribution. Speak about how you are involved in these initiatives.]
- Successfully grew product line revenue by 45% and increased profitability by 25% within 18 months. [Cite quantifiable metrics to support your achievements. Do, however, be aware of your company confidentiality clause.]
- Single-handedly conceptualised, developed and launched entry-level home-use standby generator for Southeast Asia to achieve USD 4 million in sales within 12 months
- Conducted initial product scoping, generated requirement specifications for R&D teams to begin development [Simple, clear overview of the job you previously done. Notice also how the remaining bullet point is shorter. No need to go into deep detail about more junior workscopes.]
- Built business case on product viability and total life cycle costs; estimate development costs, potential product selling price and return on investment for firm
- Liaised closely with product managers and purchasing teams to plan and implement market introduction schedules, as well as production ramp up; ensured efficient management of inventories to minimise working capital usage as well as inventory risk
- Successfully identified early product failures; calculated lifetime warranty costs and ROI on product redesign pre-launch; detailed analysis enabled savings of MYR 12 million over product lifecycle
EDUCATION & PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor in Electrical and Electronics Engineering (Hons), Malaysia University, 2006
- Technical Skills: MS Office Suite, Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, Project and Visio, SQL, XML
- Languages: English, Bahasa Melayu and Mandarin
- Availability: 1 month’s notice
References available upon request
[There’s no need to list your references; if HR is interested in you they will ask you for them.]
Want a winning CV like the Product Manager Resume Sample above? Click the button below to get our full set of CV samples, delivered straight to your inbox!
About the Product Manager Role
Product managers play an important role in organisations whose main business revolves around designing, manufacturing, selling, and distributing physical or virtual products. They often serve as the overall in charge of the product and lead the strategic planning, roadmap, and feature definition of the company’s product line. Depending on the size of the team or organization structure, product management may touch on forecasting, marketing, competitive analysis, and P&L responsibilities.
A product manager works closely with different teams to define the ‘what’ and discuss the ‘why’ of the product to the teams that will build, market, and sell it. He is considered the ‘CEO’ of the product, which means he will spearhead and direct cross-functional teams from conceptualization to the official launch.
As different companies have different products, it may not always be easy to showcase on your CV the types of products you were able to manage and how successful you were as a product manager. If you are looking for a guide on how to write a winning resume that stands out, you have come to the right place.
On this post, we will show you how you can craft a product manager resume that will get hiring managers to notice you. We will also share some useful job hunting tips that can help you get ahead of the competition.
So, enjoy and good luck!
Key Pointers Hiring Managers Look For in Product Manager Resumes
- Strong Ability to Set a Product Vision and Strategy: One of the primary responsibilities of product managers is to clearly communicate the business value to corresponding teams, such as Product, Marketing, and Engineering teams, so that they understand the intent behind the conceptualization and development of the new product. A great product manager should, therefore, know how to strategise and plan a product roadmap and must work with various teams in order to build the right product following their business vision,
- Ability to Make Strong Decisions: Product managers are responsible for making intelligent product decisions, often acting as the primary point of contact for the rest of the organization when strong product expertise is needed. This includes supporting the departments that help market and sell the product to public, including Marketing, Sales, and Support teams.
- Creativeness and Willingness to Think Outside the Box: Successful companies become successful because they are able to cultivate a small, unique idea and turn it into a powerful product. Strong product managers are, therefore, masters of ideation. They are always on top of the creative process of creating, developing, and realising new ideas. They know which ideas should be promoted to features and how they should be integrated into their product without veering away from the product vision and business goals.
Additional Product Manager Resume Writing Tips
- The main essence of your role as a product manager is the products you handled and managed, including those you conceptualized from scratch and existing ones that you improved. Make sure to highlight them on your CV and discuss how they made a difference in the companies you’ve worked for.
- Additionally, it is important to quantify your success. It’s one thing to mention that you’ve developed a “successful” product, and it’s another thing to share that your product has reached 3 billion users all over the world within 6 months of release. Citing figures will definitely add strength to your profile.
Product Manager Job Opportunities
- Join LinkedIn groups or follow companies you wish to work for to keep abreast with new job openings.
- Alternatively, you can reach out to these headhunters in Malaysia to learn about any vacancies they may be trying to fill out.
Job Hunting Tips from our Resident Headhunter
- Create a winning cover letter and send it along your resume. The cover letter will serve as an introduction about yourself and is a great venue to answer the question “Why should we hire you?”
- Be active on social media, particularly on LinkedIn. Make sure to create a strong online profile that represents you and you professional experiences. Here’s our comprehensive guide on writing a great LinkedIn profile.
- Before you start sending out applications, get a free CV Feedback Session with our team.
More Useful Links
If you found this article useful, you might also like:
- How to Write a Winning Resume: Your Ultimate CV Guide
- How to Write a Cover Letter: Your Ultimate Cover Letter Guide
- How to Use LinkedIn to Find a Job: Your Ultimate LinkedIn Guide
- List of Headhunters in Malaysia
- Cover Letter Samples, Templates & Tips
- Downloadable Free Resume Templates
Back to Resume Samples, Templates & Tips
Free Confidential CV Discussion
Fill out the form to the below, and we’ll get in touch with you
to have a short discussion about your CV for the Malaysia job market.
We’ll ask questions about your career goals and point out areas where
you can improve your resume. Let’s have a candid discussion about
the CV writing services you need and see if we’ll be able to help.
The consultation is free and completely non-obligatory