Here’s a sample resume we recently produced for an Operations Manager in Malaysia.
In this article, you’ll learn:
- About the Operations Manager Role
- What Hiring Managers Look For In Operations Manager Resumes
- Operations Manager Job Opportunities
- Job Hunting Tips from our Resident Headhunter
Operations Manager CV [Full Sample]
Here’s a full Operations Manager resume sample, which we wrote for a client recently.
- Operations Manager with robust experience in developing and executing company-wide business strategies and action plans across IT and e-commerce industries
- Instrumental in supporting start-up of new operations in Malaysia, Singapore, and Philippines. Managed team of 20 writers to achieve annual sales target of USD 500’000 for all offices
- Strong track record for reducing processing time or new orders by 25% through streamlining procedures and optimising manpower
- Proven ability to handle customer service and reduce customer complaint response time from 48 hours to 6 hours by implementing priority customer management and corrective and preventive action procedures
[Ensure the keywords here mirror those used in the job ad. The first round of vetting is often done by a software scanner. This section helps to pad the CV with key operations management phrases necessary to get past those scanners.]
- Oversee day-to-day operations of leading firm in Malaysia that provides CV writing and job hunting businesses to local and foreign clients. Support operations for new offices in Malaysia, Singapore, and Philippines [This is a good opening line as it clearly states the focus of responsibility and what the company does. In 1 line, the reader knows exactly the what the role is about.]
- Lead team of 20 writers, 4 resume consultants, and 2 career mentors to achieve annual sales target of USD 500’000. Supervise team in managing client orders, discussing requirements, scheduling interviews, and ensuring settlement of payments [This line greatly demonstrates the candidate’s management skills. Mention the teams and/or departments you are supervising in order to establish your managerial function.]
- Analyse existing organisational procedures to conceptualise and roll out process improvement strategies; manage multiple internal stakeholders and liaise closely with technology team to coordinate website management and optimisation techniques with minimal disruption to business [Operations is about process improvement and roll out. Make sure to talk about this in your work description.]
- Implement long-term business strategies and manage company’s P&L. Achieve set number of client orders and agreed budgeted targets, and deliver annual budgeted EBITDA and profit targets [Exposure to the financial side business also boosts your profile.]
- In-charge of determining KPIs and goals for resume writers and mentors; lead appraisals and promotions for staff who are performing beyond expectations
- Assist with customer service; communicate closely with existing clients and potential customers regarding inquiries on services, pricing, process, and offers [Show that you also have hands-on experience in the business.]
- Instrumental in meeting monthly sales target of USD 40’000 through performing sales and market analysis, strategic planning, and P&L management. Pivotal in increasing annual profit by 25% year on year [Cite quantifiable metrics to support your achievements. Do, however, be aware of your company confidentiality clause.]
- Successfully reduced processing time or new orders from 24 hours to 2 hours through process and manpower optimisation [The more data you provide, the better.]
- Implemented new case assignment procedure for writers which increased initial response rate to clients by 80% and reduced client’s complaints response time from 48 hours to 6 hours.
- Led sales strategy planning and execution for one of Asia’s leading e-commerce website.Work with team of 12 sales executives to achieve monthly sales target USD 100’000 [Simple, clear overview of the job you previously done. Notice also how the remaining bullet points are shorter. No need to go into deep detail about previous workscopes.]
- Reviewed and refined sales process and incorporated resource management functions to achieve firm deals visibility and maximise resource allocation and allocation
- Liaised closely with Marketing team to brainstorm and implement strategic marketing tactics that will drive sales and achieve profit
- Instrumental in exceeding revenue targets by 200% after integrating sales operations with resource management over two quarters
- Bachelor of Science in Management, SIM | 2009
- Technical Skills: MS Office Suite, basic HTML
- Languages: English, Mandarin, and Bahasa Melayu
- Availability: 2 months’ notice
References available upon request
[There’s no need to list your references; if HR is interested in you they will ask you for them.]
Bonus Job Hunting Tips for Operations Manager
Key Pointers Hiring Managers Look For in Operations Manager Resumes
- Ability to Plan and Control Change: Many businesses are shifting towards an agile model of business execution where changes are done quickly and easily. An excellent operations manager should therefore not only be able to keep up with these changes, but plan and control them, more importantly. Showcase projects and programs where you were able to lead a successful change and its positive result to the entire business.
- Ability to Manage Operations Cost Effectively: Along with overseeing the day-to-day activities in the office and employees’ execution of their functions, office managers also manage costs associated with the business’ operations. A great operations manager can utilise existing operations budget effectively and even achieve savings without sacrificing quality of technology, tools, and/or manpower.
- Flexibility & Versatility: Highlight your flexibility and versatility in directing various organisational functions in an organisation, including (but not limited to) procurement, logistics, hiring and recruitment, staff management, product management, and process implementation. Additionally, speak about how you are capable of motivating a team and leading staff towards achievement of overall business goals.
Additional Operations Manager Resume Writing Tips
- Business operations management cover a broad field of knowledge and discipline, and the specific responsibilities will vary from one organisation to another. It is, therefore, important to highlight the specific areas of your expertise and the nature of businesses you’ve managed. This will not only keep a focus on your profile, but will also give an idea to hiring managers whether or not you would be a great fit to a specific operations manager role.
- Aside from speaking about your operational, strategic, and management skills, make sure to mention quantifiable results that you were able to achieve from the policies and/or processes you’ve implemented. Numbers are a great way to support the success of your current and previous roles.
Operations Manager Job Opportunities
Job Hunting Tips from our Resident Headhunter
- Create a winning cover letter and send it along your resume. The cover letter will serve as an introduction about yourself and is a great venue to answer the question “Why should we hire you?”
- Be active on social media, particularly on LinkedIn. Make sure to create a strong online profile that represents you and you professional experiences. Here’s our comprehensive guide on writing a great LinkedIn profile.
Before You Go…
Be sure to download this resume sample, which uses our tested-and-proven resume writing techniques, as a guide for your own CV. Best part is, this sample is available for free 🙂
And before you start sending out applications, send us your resume for a free CV feedback analysis from our team. We’ll review your CV in detail, share personalised feedback on its strengths and weaknesses, and show you how you can improve it.