Here’s a sample resume we recently produced for a marketing manager in Malaysia:
Tel No.: +60 12 XXXX XXXX | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org | Nationality: American
- Marketing Manager with 10 years of experience in delivering award-winning online and offline campaigns for bluechip companies such as P&G, Shell, Audi and Lenovo. [This opening line perfectly summarises the candidate’s professional role.]
- Analytical mind with keen ability to analyse data to maximise marketing ROI. Deep experience in working with large datasets and macro consumer research data. [Data is the new hot area in marketing.]
- Experience in working in USA, Indonesia and Vietnam. Developed deep understanding of consumer nuances in each market. [Show your breadth of experience.]
- Key Achievements include:
- Part of team which won Clio Print Award (2014) for launch of new Audi Sedan (A4) in Australia [Career achievements like these help to make your CV memorable.]
- Nominated for best Mobile App (2015) at American Advertising Federation (ADDY) for digital application for US Air Force Recruitment
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
ATL & BTL Communications
[Ensure the keywords here mirror those used in the job ad. The first round of vetting is often done by a software scanner. This section helps to pad the CV with key marketing phrases necessary to get past those scanners.]
SingTel (Mobile Division), Malaysia
- Lead team of 6 to manage all aspects of online and offline marketing for SingTel. Create integrated campaigns to meet new subscriber targets whilst maintaining profitable user acquisition costs. [The opening line captures all the reader needs to know about this role.]
- Manage projects from inception to campaign optimisation, oversee communication with internal and external stakeholders, manage campaign budgets and monitor schedule.
- Handle all facets of developing ATL, BTL, digital vehicles, NPP, Online Banners, eDMS, and SEM. [These are the exact phrases used in the job advertisement we are applying for. The HR Executive reading your CV may not have a marketing background. Their understanding of the industry is limited. Ensure you use the language they’re familiar with, such as the phrases used in the job advertisement.]
- Successfully captured 4,800 new mobile contract signups during 4 week integrated offline & online campaign. Worked with product teams to distill key new mobile contract benefits, built microsites and ran integrated campaigns across all channels (social, banners, eDM, print). Exceed KPIs by 18% whilst meeting all budget targets. Received commendation from senior management for excellent work. [Cite specific campaigns and metrics, if available, to substantiate your achievements. Do, however, be aware of your company confidentiality clause.]
EDUCATION & PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor of Arts in Communications and Business Administration, Northwestern University, USA | 2011
- Technical Skills: MS Office Suite
- Languages: English, Bahasa Melayu
- Availability: 1 month’s notice
References available upon request
[There’s no need to list your references; if HR is interested in you they will ask you for them.]
Want a winning CV like the Marketing Manager Resume Sample above? Click the button below to get our full set of CV samples, delivered straight to your inbox!
It’s a little ironic that while marketing professionals are experienced and successful in selling their company’s products and/or services, many of them find it difficult to sell themselves on their CV.
After all, a person’s skills are not in the same light as a product’s features or a service’s offerings.
It may indeed be challenging to evaluate yourself from your own perspective, and even harder to put them into words. However, if you want to grow in your career and get ahead of the competition, you need to learn how to write a marketing resume that stands out.
Key Pointers Recruiters Look For In Marketing Manager Resumes:
- Your ability to win clients with excellent creative pitches.
- Your experiences in working with multiple vendors and teams to deliver 360 degree marketing campaigns.
- Your knowledge of online marketing tools and track record for optimising online campaigns based on data-driven marketing initiatives.
Writing the Marketing Manager Resume
1. Resume Header
Ensure your header clearly states your Name, Email Address and Contact Number. There is no need to put your home address or identification number.
2. Executive Summary
The executive summary gives a quick overview of your work history.
Here, we want to communicate the candidate’s experience in marketing and a brief line or 2 about large campaigns you’ve handled.
Check out our guide on how to write an executive summary for your CV.
3. Areas of Expertise
This section includes all the keywords resume scanning software often used.
It’s important to place key software/languages here relevant to the job ad you’re applying for. Scan the job application and parrot back the key phrases they’ve mentioned into your resume.
Some other common phrases to include are:
- Client Account Management
- ATL / BTL
- CTR / CPM
- Online Marketing Communications
- Digital Media
- Campaign Optimisation
- Social Media Marketing
- Analytics and Reporting
4. Work Experiences
Always break your work experiences into 2 parts – your daily workscope and your achievements.
For the daily workscope, include a high-level summary. Workscopes which are implied can be omitted. Remember, you want to keep your resume short and sharp for the recruiter.
With the advent of online advertising and measurement software, there is plenty of emphasis these days on metrics from advertising campaigns.
As such, do include as many details as possible on the success of your projects. Include traffic, conversion rates, ROI, and revenues from marketing projects you spearheaded.
One especially crucial area to talk about is your experience in optimising campaigns with the data that flows in.
5. Key Achievements
The achievements section in a marketing CV is critical to differentiating your application from that of your peers.
Include projects which you have led and their resulting tangible business benefits. These benefits can be in the form of:
- Viral nature of campaign (in # of shares)
- Revenue / Traffic gain to client
- Share of Voice garnered in media
- Campaign Clicks
- Local marketing awards
Always tie back your projects to business benefits. This is what the hiring manager and employer want to see. Ultimately, they want to know you can bring great value to their organisation.
6. Education & Misc. Information
Be sure to include your professional memberships with your education.
Marketing Job Opportunities
- Join LinkedIn groups or follow companies you wish to work for to keep abreast with new job openings.
- Alternatively, you can reach out to these headhunters in Malaysia to learn about any vacancies they may be trying to fill out.
Job Hunting Tips from our Resident Headhunter
- Create a winning cover letter and send it along your resume. The cover letter will serve as an introduction about yourself and is a great venue to answer the question “Why should we hire you?”
- Be active on social media, particularly on LinkedIn. Make sure to create a strong online profile that represents you and you professional experiences. Here’s our comprehensive guide on writing a great LinkedIn profile.
- Before you start sending out applications, get a free CV Feedback Session with our team.
More Useful Links
If you found this article useful, you might also like:
- How to Write a Winning Resume: Your Ultimate CV Guide
- How to Write a Cover Letter: Your Ultimate Cover Letter Guide
- How to Use LinkedIn to Find a Job: Your Ultimate LinkedIn Guide
- List of Headhunters in Malaysia
- Cover Letter Samples, Templates & Tips
- Downloadable Free Resume Templates
Back to Resume Samples, Templates & Tips
Free Confidential CV Discussion
Fill out the form to the below, and we’ll get in touch with you
to have a short discussion about your CV for the Malaysia job market.
We’ll ask questions about your career goals and point out areas where
you can improve your resume. Let’s have a candid discussion about
the CV writing services you need and see if we’ll be able to help.
The consultation is free and completely non-obligatory