Here’s a sample resume we recently produced for a IT Manager in Malaysia.
In this article, you’ll learn:
- About the IT Manager Role
- What Hiring Managers Look For In IT Manager Resumes
- IT Manager Job Opportunities
- Job Hunting Tips from our Resident Headhunter
IT Manager CV [Full Sample]
Here’s a full IT Manager resume sample, which we wrote for a client recently.
- Highly accomplished IT Manager with exceptional track record in delivering strategic IT projects and high impact IT solutions for financial, telecommunications, and media industries
- Solid experience in conceptualising and driving technical solutions for complex problems with specific domain expertise in the areas of data assessment, architecture, and analytics
- Excellent knowledge of various software applications and capable of leading teams in delivering projects within time and budgetary restraints
- Strong business acumen and excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Proactive manager, team builder and tactical planner with ability to attract and secure solid working relationships at the strategic level and translate business needs into technical specifications
- Operating Systems: Windows Server 2000/2003/2008 R2 Enterprise, Windows XP/Vista/7, SharePoint 2010, Office 365 Exchange/SharePoint 2013, Mac OS, DOS
- Software: MS Exchange Server 2010, MS AX Dynamics, Firewall (Sonicwall), Lotus Notes, MSE, Symantec, Symantec Backup EXAC
- Database: SQL Administration
- Hardware: DELL Power Vault/Edge Servers, Cisco Call Manager 8.5 VOIP (Publisher, Subscriber Unity & Presence)
- Control and captain team of 4 system engineers to drive advancement of full-fledged marketing analytics platform for Malaysia’s largest media company [This is a good opening line as it clearly states the focus of responsibility and what the company does. In 1 line, the reader knows exactly the what the role is about.]
- Oversee technological runway from conception to completion and review. Ensure projects meet business needs and resource constraints.
- Devise and maintain strong follow-up and reporting processes to ensure smooth project execution and quality assurance in deliverables
- Liaise closely with implementation teams and business analysts to identify and document bugs and change requests. Lead issue resolution as per documented SOPs, conduct post mortems, and document issue in reports for management. Communicate and share improvements as best practices to other business units [This line greatly demonstrates the candidate’s management skills. Mention the teams and/or departments you are supervising in order to establish your managerial function.]
- Manage large-scale, impact assessments to determine nature and extent of change. Develop transition plans to manage bottlenecks identified and remediation plans to arrest vulnerabilities
- Leveraged on SAS and SQL applications to design, develop and deploy a turnkey, digital database that consolidates all local digital campaigns and media assets into a global data repository that performs granular analysis and data harmonization and produces actionable insights
- Harnessed SAS/ETL to develop a fully automated churn analytics module to identify users at risk of attrition and channelled corresponding users to customer care department in order to improve customer retention and foster customer loyalty
- Engaged in production of dashboards on tableau and PHP for documentation and visualization of KPIs that track brand health and equity and monitor competitive landscape
- Conceptualised, designed, implemented and maintained hardware, software and network infrastructure of ERP system whilst managing budget of USD$500,000, tailoring system to suit various departments [Simple, clear overview of the job you previously done. Notice also how the remaining bullet point is shorter. No need to go into deep detail about previous workscopes.]
- Sourced, selected and worked closely with vendors, working within budget constraints to complete project on schedule
- Directed USD$100,000 project of implementing ERP system for invoicing, warehousing, HR and payroll, from project conceptualisation and planning to user testing, automating work processes that were previously conducted manually [Cite quantifiable metrics to support your achievements. Do, however, be aware of your company confidentiality clause.]
- Pioneer of automated system, streamlining work processes and reducing man-hours down distribution line such as issuing invoices
- Trained over 1,000 local users who were unfamiliar with computers from scratch
- Project Management Professional (PMP), New Horizon, Malaysia
- Bachelor of Science (Hons), Network Computing, Coventry University
- Diploma in Information Technology, Vocational Training Council
- Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP)
- Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator (MCSA)
- Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE)
- Certified Professional, VMware vSphere 5
- Languages: Fluent in English and Bahasa Melayu
- Availability: 1 month’s notice
References available upon request
About the IT Manager Role
IT management, sometimes called technology management, refers to the overall administration of technology use — including systems, solutions, databases, and processes — in order to generate value and provide human advantage.
The person responsible for leading organisational teams in planning, designing, optimising, operating, and/or controlling technological products, processes, and solutions is called an IT manager. He or she is also in charge of implementing and maintaining the technology infrastructure of an organisation.
Depending on the company, an IT manager is sometimes called technology manager, technology lead, or IT lead.
Key Pointers Hiring Managers Look for in an IT Manager Resume
- This is already given, but let me reiterate that a strong IT manager candidate should be well-versed and up-to-date in IT knowledge, technological trends, and industry best practices. While a bachelor’s degree in computer science or management information systems is usually the minimum requirement for an IT management position, short IT courses and certifications are now being considered as long as you can prove your ability to keep up with competition.
- Highlight your experience in comprehending business needs and translating them into proper technical specifications and ability to deliver cutting-edge solutions that meet complex business requirements.
- It would also help if you have excellent leadership and management skills where in you have successfully built strong relationships among IT team members, customers, vendors, stakeholders, and external partners.
Additional IT Manager Resume Writing Tips
- As IT management is a data driven role, ensure your CV has plenty of metrics to quantify your contributions.
- Speak about projects you’ve done to add efficiency to the team. A large part of IT management is speed. If you can make your teams roll out projects faster, you’ll be a tremendous asset to the organisation.
- Include IT courses, certificates, and awards you’ve achieved to strengthen your profile as an IT manager.
IT Manager Job Opportunities
- Join LinkedIn groups or follow companies you wish to work for to keep abreast with new job openings.
- Alternatively, you can reach out to these headhunters in Malaysia to learn about any vacancies they may be trying to fill out.
Job Hunting Tips from our Resident Headhunter
- Create a winning cover letter and send it along your resume. The cover letter will serve as an introduction about yourself and is a great venue to answer the question “Why should we hire you?”
- Be active on social media, particularly on LinkedIn. Make sure to create a strong online profile that represents you and you professional experiences. Here’s our comprehensive guide on writing a great LinkedIn profile.
Before You Go…
Be sure to download this resume sample, which uses our tested-and-proven resume writing techniques, as a guide for your own CV. Best part is, this sample is available for free 🙂
And before you start sending out applications, send us your resume for a free CV feedback analysis from our team. We’ll review your CV in detail, share personalised feedback on its strengths and weaknesses, and show you how you can improve it.