Here’s a sample resume we recently produced for a Insurance Sales in Malaysia.
In this article, you’ll learn:
- About the Insurance Sales Role
- What Hiring Managers Look For In Insurance Sales Resumes
- Insurance Sales Job Opportunities
- Job Hunting Tips from our Resident Headhunter
Insurance Sales CV [Full Sample]
Here’s a full Insurance Sales resume sample, which we wrote for a client recently.
- Professional sales executive with over 5 years of experience in managing and supporting sales of insurance products and services.
- Outstanding success in growing revenues for organisation through effective leads generation and training junior financial consultants. Able to exceed sales targets up to 150% within 12 months
- Excellent understanding of industry trends, product specifications, and clients’ needs. Proven ability to customise product offerings to match clients’ lifestyle and requirements
- Strong organisational skills with ability to meet deadlines and communicate with key stakeholders. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Provide sales support to 25 financial advisors on matters relating to sales strategies, leads generation, new product features, mentorship, and claims processing [The opening line captures all the reader needs to know about the role as it speaks about the size of the team and the primary responsibilities of the candidate.]
- Oversee and direct telemarketing team of 20 staff in generating sales scripts and acquiring leads. Constantly optimise sales pitches to maximise sales leads [Speak about sales strategies used to close insurance sales.]
- Work closely with Business Development Managers and underwriters to resolve issues with insurance policy approvals and claims. Assist financial consultants in resolving clients’ concerns [Because insurance account management typically involves issues with policies and claims, it would help if you can talk about your experience in resolving clients’ concerns and handling problems.]
- Responsible for studying new products and policy changes. Ensure accurate dissemination of information to Financial Consultants and compliance with new policies at all levels
- Formulate and execute training and mentorship programs for newly hired consultants. Design effective curriculum which balances soft sales skills and hard knowledge on products and services
- Recruit consultants through cold calling and referrals. Conduct pre-screening, interviews, and tests to potential candidates [While recruitment, training, and development may not be directly part of insurance sales, talking about your experience on these demonstrate management skills.]
- Consistently exceeded all quarterly sales targets; hit 150% of target over 1-year period [Cite quantifiable metrics to support your achievements. Do, however, be aware of your company confidentiality clause.]
- Successfully hired 12 new financial consultants who have been instrumental in bringing in over SGD 1.5mil in sales within 6 months [The more data you can present, the better.]
- Received “Service Excellence Award” for 3 consecutive years for outstanding performance [Don’t be afraid to mentions awards you’ve received.]
- Responsible for sales of various financial products to retail customers of ANZ Malaysia. Offered financial products including investment instruments, unit trusts, loans, referral of insurance products, and credit cards. [Simple, clear overview of the job you previously done. Notice also how the remaining bullet points are shorter. No need to go into deep detail about previous workscopes.]
- Managed and strengthened relationships with clients. Understood individual needs and requirements and tailored suggestions to grow wealth using broad range of investment instruments and acquire credit loans
- Ensured clients met all compliance requirements for various products. Conducted thorough background checks as per AML and loan salary requirements
- Consistently delivered excellent customer service to grow client base and improve service offering
- Pivotal in increasing sales of products by 20% YOY through increasing number of potential clients in database and better tailoring of marketing collaterals to suit client preferences
- Bachelor’s of Social Science, Major in Economics and Finance, Malaysia University | 2009
- Diploma in Business Studies, Hang Seng School of Commerce | 2005
- Technical Skills: MS Office Suit and QuickBooks
- Languages: Fluent in English, Bahasa Melayu and Mandarin
- Availability: Immediately
References available upon request
About the Insurance Sales Role
Insurance sales is a recession-proof career that can provide steady income. This pre-need industry continues to grow because of the ever-growing need of people to get insurance for what is valuable to them. People are now better educated on the importance of insurance for their protection in the future.
There are two general types of insurance: life and general or non-life insurance. Life insurance is the plan that provides payment for the loss of life. General insurance, on the other hand, provides payment for financial loss from events not considered under life insurance. There are various categories of general insurance, and their products include insurances for health and medical, personal accident, fire, motor, agricultural, property, mortgage and travel.
Although there is general notion that insurance sales is an easy and highly rewarding job, it is not quite true. Yes, it is rewarding for successful sales personnel, but getting and maintaining the job is not as easy as you would expect.
The insurance companies’ requirements for sales personnel are tough. Being able to maintain one’s employment in sales is even more challenging. The sales personnel’s career thrives on meeting sales targets and remuneration commensurate with output. Those who make it long-term with the business are amply rewarded
What Hiring Managers Look for in Insurance Sales Resumes
- Entrepreneurial Spirit: Insurance companies look for go-getters who are willing to take reasonable risks to get the business – people who aim high and work their way to get the deal done. Presenting your past track record especially in sales, will be the best way to show hiring companies you have this important quality.
- Integrity: There is no room in sales for people with integrity issues. The work involves clients trusting the sales person and the insurance company he or she represents. Highlight your unblemished work record and citations for exemplary performance, if any.
- Genuine Interest in People: Prospective employers realize that it is difficult to sell insurance without the sales persons being truly motivated by the benefits they bring to their clients through their products and service. List your people skills and a few examples how you demonstrated them in the past.
- Creativity and Good Network: The size of your network will define the extent of your future business. It will help to describe your current and potential network of contacts in your resume.
- Assertiveness and Communication Skills: Lastly, being assertive and having effective communication close deals. Citing specific instances where these skills helped you win business will boost your chances to get the job interview.
Additional Insurance Sales Resume Writing Tips
- Your relevant past jobs, especially in sales, such as in real estate, auto, mortgage and stocks will give you an advantage over applicants with no sales background. Emphasize these past experiences.
- Even when you come from non-sales jobs, you can still make it to the interview if you play up in your resume the qualities hiring companies expect from the applicant, which are all listed in the section above.
- List all the certifications you received, technical trainings you attended and membership in relevant industry associations. Your academic records in Math will be of special interest to the hiring company.
- It will help to read the Malaysia MAS Guidelines on Standards of Conduct for Marketing and Distribution Activities by Financial Institutions (FSB-G02). As much as possible, mention about a few items on the guidelines in your resume. Familiarity with the guidelines will definitely help you respond to some related interview questions later on.
Insurance Sales Job Opportunities
Job Hunting Tips from our Resident Headhunter
- Create a winning cover letter and send it along your resume. The cover letter will serve as an introduction about yourself and is a great venue to answer the question “Why should we hire you?”
- Be active on social media, particularly on LinkedIn. Make sure to create a strong online profile that represents you and you professional experiences. Here’s our comprehensive guide on writing a great LinkedIn profile.
Before You Go…
Be sure to download this resume sample, which uses our tested-and-proven resume writing techniques, as a guide for your own CV. Best part is, this sample is available for free 🙂
And before you start sending out applications, send us your resume for a free CV feedback analysis from our team. We’ll review your CV in detail, share personalised feedback on its strengths and weaknesses, and show you how you can improve it.