Here’s a sample resume we recently produced for a Hospitality manager in Malaysia.
HOSPITALITY MANAGEMENT PROFESSIONAL
Tel.: +60 12 XXXX XXXX | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org | Nationality: Malaysian
- Seasoned hospitality management professional with proven track record in hotel operations, customer service, and employee training and relations at leading hotels and resorts in Malaysia including Genting Malaysia, Royal Plaza Hotel, and Malaysia Disneyland. [This is a perfect opening line for your profile. Mention names of hotels and establishments you’ve worked for in order to give a good impression to hiring managers.]
- Played pivotal role in successful opening of Malaysia Disneyland [This is another strong line to include in your executive summary as USS is a big project, and you being part of its opening shows a good deal of experience.]
- Highly organized and meticulous results-oriented individual with capacity to create high value results for customer and organisation via careful trend evaluation and analysis
- Highly experienced in effectively managing and resolving customer concerns
- Excellent leadership, interpersonal and mentorship skills; proven ability to build meaningful relationships with customers, vendors and colleagues from diverse backgrounds, including high net-worth clients.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
|Curriculum Development||Public Speaking|
|Academic Research||Innovative Learning|
|Educational Leadership||Classroom Management|
[Ensure the keywords here mirror those used in the job ad. The first round of vetting is often done by a software scanner. This section helps to pad the CV with key hospitality / hotel management phrases necessary to get past those scanners.]
GENTING MALAYSIA, Malaysia
- Supervise team of 100 housekeeping staff in overseeing Housekeeping and Bell Services for 5-star hotel in Malaysia; qualified trainer for both departments [This is a good opening line as it clearly states the focus and size of your responsibility. In 1 line, the reader knows exactly the what the role is about.]
- Pivotal in restructuring Housekeeping department; took charge of hiring process, established service standards and protocols for daily operations and ensured strict compliance for excellent service delivery [Throw in a few hospitality jargons here.]
- Design and execute training programmes and plans for Housekeeping and Bell Service staff. Improve departments’ expertise by conducting constant training and development programmes and delegating responsibilities strategically [A great manager knows how to delagate responsibilities accordingly.]
- Conduct trend analysis through surveys, progress reports, and customer feedback. Conceptualise and implement corrective action plans to address areas of improvement
- Forge rapport and close working relationships with key industry partners and high net-worth hotel guests
- Successfully restructured Housekeeping department which increased overall staff performance by 65% and reduced customer complaints by 90% [Cite quantifiable metrics to support your achievements. Do, however, be aware of your company confidentiality clause.]
- Significantly improved hotel’s service standard from average performance to achieving 4.8/5 stars rating, raising Genting Malaysia’s profile as key luxury integrated hotel resort in Asia [The more data you provide, the better.]
- Excelled in employee relations; developed programmes to retain employees and introduced good employment benefits, resulting in reduction of staff turnover
PARK OPERATIONS MANAGER Dec 2007 – Jan 2011
Malaysia Disneyland, Malaysia
- Joined as pre-opening staff to lead and train over 120 team members in performing full spectrum of park operations prior to park opening [Simple, clear overview of the job you previously done. Notice also how the remaining bullet point is shorter.]
- Established work processes and operation guidelines for smooth running of park; provided mentorship to team members by identifying training needs and monitoring performance [Highlight management skills by mentioning training and mentorship you’ve conducted.]
- Provided guest services in park; resolved guests’ concerns efficiently to enhance customer satisfaction and attract loyal customer base
- Spearheaded setting up Park Operations Team for opening of Malaysia Disneyland. Entire team was pivotal in attracting and retaining more than 2 million visitors within 9 months from opening
- Promoted from Park Operations Officer to Park Operations Manager within 12 months of employment [The Significant Highlights section is a good venue to brag about promotions.]
TEAM LEADER – CONCIERGE Jan 2005 – Nov 2007
HOTEL RECEPTIONIST Apr 2004 – Dec 2004
Royal Plaza Hotel, Malaysia
EDUCATION & PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS
- Advanced Diploma in Hospitality Management, STEI Institute, Malaysia | 2004
- Diploma in Hospitality Management, STEI Institute, Malaysia | 2000
AWARDS & CERTIFICATIONS
- Qualified Trainer in Housekeeping and Bell Services, Genting Malaysia
- Management Development Training, Genting Malaysia
- Presenting Yourself in Confidence in Public Speaking & Presentation, Public Speaking Academy
- Technical Skills: MS Office Suite
- Languages: Fluent in English, Bahasa Melayu, Mandarin, and Cantonese
- Availability: 1 month’s notice
References available upon request
[There’s no need to list your references; if HR is interested in you they will ask you for them.]
Want a winning CV like the Hospitality Resume Sample above? Click the button below to get our full set of CV samples, delivered straight to your inbox!
About the Hospitality Role
Hotels, resorts, casinos, and membership clubs continue to rise not only in Malaysia, but in many beautiful places all over the world. This is the reason why many hospitality jobs are available and continue to open up across the country.
This is good news to many local job hunters, as well as foreign employees in the hospitality industry. And if you want to take advantage of these openings, you need to craft a CV that will stand out among the competition — something that will make hiring managers choose you right away even without seeing you in person yet.
To help you write the perfect resume, here is our step-by-step guide on how to write a hospitality resume for the Malaysia market.
Key Pointers Hiring Managers Look For In Hospitality Resumes
- Excellent Customer Service Skills: Highlight your past and current experiences wherein you’ve demonstrated high-level of customer care and client relations. These are very crucial in the hospitality industry.
- Team / Staff Management: If you are opting for higher roles or positions, make sure to include significant management skills. Mention teams you’ve worked with, staff you’ve directed, and projects you’ve held.
- Knowledge in Hotel Operations: Show various positions you’ve held that prove your familiar with hotel operations and managing various functions.
Additional Hospitality Resume Writing Tips
- Career in the hospitality industry covers a broad range of functions, as well as job titles, all of which involve customer care and client servicing related to entertaining, hosting, and catering to guests. Make sure that you are able to highlight your customer service skills and experience in your resume.
- Include hospitality-related training and certifications you were able to secure. These will make you a more competitive candidate for the job. Highlighting your relevant certifications at the Executive Summary section of your CV is a sure-fire way to keep hiring managers interested.
- While most hospitality jobs don’t require their candidates to have complex technical skills, mentioning about your technical knowledge can help you boost your profile.
Hospitality Job Opportunities
- Join LinkedIn groups or follow companies you wish to work for to keep abreast with new job openings.
- Alternatively, you can reach out to these headhunters in Malaysia to learn about any vacancies they may be trying to fill out.
Job Hunting Tips from our Resident Headhunter
- Create a winning cover letter and send it along your resume. The cover letter will serve as an introduction about yourself and is a great venue to answer the question “Why should we hire you?”
- Be active on social media, particularly on LinkedIn. Make sure to create a strong online profile that represents you and you professional experiences. Here’s our comprehensive guide on writing a great LinkedIn profile.
- Before you start sending out applications, get a free CV Feedback Session with our team.
More Useful Links
If you found this article useful, you might also like:
- How to Write a Winning Resume: Your Ultimate CV Guide
- How to Write a Cover Letter: Your Ultimate Cover Letter Guide
- How to Use LinkedIn to Find a Job: Your Ultimate LinkedIn Guide
- List of Headhunters in Malaysia
- Cover Letter Samples, Templates & Tips
- Downloadable Free Resume Templates
Back to Resume Samples, Templates & Tips
Free Confidential CV Discussion
Fill out the form to the below, and we’ll get in touch with you
to have a short discussion about your CV for the Malaysia job market.
We’ll ask questions about your career goals and point out areas where
you can improve your resume. Let’s have a candid discussion about
the CV writing services you need and see if we’ll be able to help.
The consultation is free and completely non-obligatory