Here’s a Cover Letter sample we recently produced for a Fresh Graduate in Malaysia:
| +60 12 9039 2970 | firstname.lastname@example.org |
Dear [Hiring Manager’s Name],
[If you know the name of the Hiring Manager, personalise your application by addressing the person directly. Job ads on LinkedIn, for example, display the name of the person posting the ad.]
Application for the Position of Advertising Account Executive
It is with great enthusiasm that I submit my application for the position of Advertising Account Executive at ABC Agency. With 6 months’ experience in internship programs, I’ve developed extensive client servicing skills through supporting key accounts across food services, FMCG and aviation sectors. Besides acquiring deep understanding of client relations and brands’ marketing needs, I’ve also gained first-hand experience coordinating campaigns, and oversaw entire campaign lifecycles from conceptualisation to delivery. Being a fast and proactive learner, I am positive that working at ABC Agency will be a great opportunity for me to continue growing my expertise. [Identify your best skills that fit the job ad and role, and include this in your overview of your internship stints. Detail key responsibilities that are also reflected in the ad.]
- I am currently a fresh graduate from the Malaysia University’s Communications and New Media programme, actively seeking opportunities to kick-start my career in advertising. Through my passion and experience, I was appointed Marketing Lead of my university’s student-run magazine Z Magazine, and have successfully led multiple marketing campaigns for fundraisers. I am most proud of initiating a partnership with local NGO JKL Organisation, working closely with JKL’s marketing team to manage a social media campaign that raised MYR15K within 1 week. [You can also highlight co-curricular and other school activities, if they are relevant to job requirements. Include metrics, if available, to show impact of your achievements! These help you stand out and compel recruiters to read on.]
- My most notable internship experience was working with Saatchi & Saatchi, where I managed a budget of up to MYR50K and oversaw smooth execution of 6 print campaigns for international airline Emirates. Significantly, I played a key role in bringing Cadbury’s “Flying License” TVC to life, with active involvement in pre-production, production, and post-production. [Focus again on your top skills as required by the role. Highlight key internship or working experiences and achievements that are directly relevant to the target role. Include metrics to show context and scale for your contributions.]
ABC Agency is globally known for its award-winning creative work, and unmatched roster of prominent clients including McDonald’s and Johnson & Johnson. My strong academic background in Communication & New Media, focused on Advertising and Marketing, coupled with practical experience from my internship programs, will allow me to contribute effectively to ABC Agency’s continued growth and performance, particularly by generating out-of-the-box ideas for distinctive and impactful campaigns, and developing fruitful relationships with clients. [Address the company, explain why they matter, and mention how your skills and experiences can contribute to their success. You may also highlight academic modules and motivations that add value to your application. This shows your initiative and enthusiasm as a promising candidate.]
I am thrilled at the possibility of being part of such a renowned organisation and would love the opportunity to meet with you and discuss the value I can bring to ABC Agency. I appreciate your time and kind consideration, and I look forward to hearing from you. Please feel free to contact me at any time via mobile at +60 12 9039 2970 or by email at email@example.com. [Always end your Cover Letter with a call-to-action. Show excitement to meet the potential recruiter and offer ways you can be contacted.]
Want a winning Cover Letter like the Fresh Graduate Sample above? Click the button below to get our full set of Cover Letter samples, delivered straight to your inbox!
About Applying for Roles as a Fresh Graduate
Congratulations, you’ve reached a major life milestone!
It’s now time to officially begin your first career!
Fresh graduates often spend hours labouring over their resume to make sure it’s perfect, but treat their Cover Letter as an afterthought.
They cannot be more wrong!
You need BOTH your resume and a stellar Cover Letter to stand out.
The Cover Letter leaves a lasting impression – it allows the recruiter to get to know you on a deeper level, and emphasises the value you can bring to your new company.
It may seem tricky to craft an impactful entry-level Cover Letter with limited working experience, but there are ways to highlight your strengths and potential, and show that you’re the ideal candidate for the job.
What Hiring Managers Look for in a Fresh Graduate Cover Letter
Here are our top Fresh Graduate Cover Letter writing tips:
- Work and Internship Experiences: Definitely include these, if you have them! Talk about what you’ve learnt from these stints, key skills you’ve developed, and major projects you were part of. If possible, weave in metrics to establish context for your work, and show the impact of your contributions.
- Demonstrable Skills and Experiences: If you don’t have prior work experience, fret not! Make sure you include your co-curricular activities/achievements, community service and other significant pursuits that are relevant to the role you’re applying, or where you can demonstrate essential abilities such as leadership and communication skills.
- Relevant Academic Modules and Coursework: Consider highlighting relevant coursework or modules you’ve done in university to demonstrate your interest and theoretical foundation in these areas – particularly if you don’t have prior work experience.
- Transferable or Technical Skills: You can always highlight transferable skills you’ve used or picked up at university, such as auditing, marketing, writing, data entry, graphic design, coding, etc.
- Ability to Work with Various Stakeholders: You might not be able to show your experience working in large corporate environments, but you can talk about how you’ve worked with different types of people – your professors, community leaders, other students etc. These speak to skills such as leadership, communication skills, teamwork, time management, creative problem-solving, and so on.
- Always customise your Cover Letter! Don’t distribute the same Cover Letter to every recruiter. You MUST show that you know the company, and tailor your CV towards it. This personalised approach helps you stand out from other applicants and shows your eagerness regarding the opportunity.
Fresh Graduate Job Opportunities
- Join LinkedIn groups or follow companies you wish to work for to keep abreast with new job openings.
- Alternatively, you can reach out to these headhunters in Malaysia to learn about any vacancies they may be trying to fill out.
Job Hunting Tips from our Resident Headhunter
- Create a winning cover letter and send it along your resume. The cover letter will serve as an introduction about yourself and is a great venue to answer the question “Why should we hire you?”
- Be active on social media, particularly on LinkedIn. Make sure to create a strong online profile that represents you and you professional experiences. Here’s our comprehensive guide on writing a great LinkedIn profile.
- Before you start sending out applications, get a free CV Feedback Session with our team.
More Useful Links
If you found this article useful, you might also like:
- How to Write a Winning Resume: Your Ultimate CV Guide
- How to Write a Cover Letter: Your Ultimate Cover Letter Guide
- How to Use LinkedIn to Find a Job: Your Ultimate LinkedIn Guide
- List of Headhunters in Malaysia
- Cover Letter Samples, Templates & Tips
- Downloadable Free Resume Templates
Free Confidential CV Discussion
Fill out the form to the below, and we’ll get in touch with you
to have a short discussion about your CV for the Malaysia job market.
We’ll ask questions about your career goals and point out areas where
you can improve your resume. Let’s have a candid discussion about
the CV writing services you need and see if we’ll be able to help.
The consultation is free and completely non-obligatory