Here’s a sample Cover Letter we recently produced for a Data Scientist in Malaysia.
In this article, you’ll learn:
- About the Data Scientist Role
- What Hiring Manager Look For In Data Scientist Cover Letter
- Data Scientist Job Opportunities
- Job Hunting Tips from our Resident Headhunter
Data Scientist Cover Letter [Full Sample]
Here’s a full Data Scientist Cover Letter sample, which we wrote for a client recently.
[If you know the name of the Hiring Manager, personalise your application by addressing the person directly. Job ads on LinkedIn, for example, display the name of the person posting the ad.]
It is with great enthusiasm that I submit my application for the position of Manager, Data Scientist at XYZ Co. Through my 7-year career, I’ve come to specialise in data mining, machine learning and predictive modelling, and have led a wide range of data science projects across multiple industries including Healthcare, Finance, Telecommunications and Education. Indeed, I’m highly familiar with leading client engagements to translate client requirements into data science products and develop implementation roadmaps. [Match your skills and strengths to the job and industry requirements, and include a brief overview of your experience. Share metrics if you have them to provide context and scale for your work]
- Presently, I am an Advanced Analytics Manager with ABC Bank, where I build predictive analytics models to drive analytics capabilities for the consumer banking, business and investment banking divisions. In addition, I interface with non-technical teams to identify improvement areas and communicate statistical results in an easy-to-understand and business relevant manner.
- Amongst my various achievements during my tenure, I am most proud of having attained a 6X increase in customer acquisition by using look-alike and propensity modelling to study consumer demographics, credit card usage patterns and consumer spending behaviour. I have also boosted customer retention by 20% by leveraging predictive modelling and advanced machine learning techniques. [Single out your best achievements. Providing metrics is key to substantiate your accomplishments and prove your abilities.]
XYZ Co. is known for its use of embedded analytics and artificial intelligence to drive investment decisions and capital allocation strategies. My background in statistics and actuarial science, coupled with my practical experience in using consumer big data to increase customer satisfaction and improve operational efficiency will allow me to contribute effectively to XYZ Co.’s continued growth, particularly by developing highly effective predictive models to generate revenue opportunities and improve both financial and non-financial performance. [Focus again on your top skills as required by the role or firm. Here, highlight key experiences that are directly relevant to the target role.]
I am thrilled at the possibility of being part of such a renowned firm, and would love the opportunity to meet with you and discuss the value that I can bring to XYZ Co. I appreciate your time and consideration, and I look forward to hearing from you. Please feel free to contact me at any time via mobile at +60 12 1234 5678 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. [Finally, end your Cover Letter with a call-to-action – show your excitement to meet your potential employer, and provide your contact details.]
About the Data Scientist Role
By working closely with business stakeholders, data scientists develop an understanding of business goals, and determine how data can be used to achieve those goals. They design data modeling processes, create algorithms and predictive models to extract and extrapolate the data needed by the business. They then help analyse the data and share their insights with stakeholders.
The data scientist role is one that melds the disciplines computer science, modeling, statistics, analytics, math, plus a strong business acumen. After all, data scientists are responsible for estimating the unknown – they uncover answers to major questions, helping businesses make strategic decisions.
What is the difference between a Data Scientist and Data Analyst?
- Both data analysts and data scientists play key roles in helping businesses make objective decisions informed by data. But here’s the difference.
- Data scientists, as mentioned above, predict the unknown by designing data modeling processes, creating algorithms and predictive models, and performing custom analysis. On the other hand, data analysts examine large data sets to identify trends and patterns, derive insights, and present their insights visually.
- See the difference between a Data Scientist’s and Data Analysts career trajectory, through this Data Analyst Resume and Data Analyst Cover Letter here.
What Hiring Managers Look for in Data Scientist Cover Letters
- Demonstrate how the predictive models and algorithms you’ve created have steered business decisions to achieve concrete results.
- Good communication skills are absolutely critical! Data Scientists have to communicate across diverse audiences at all organisational levels – show that you’re proficient working and interfacing with these key stakeholders.
- Single out your best achievements – metrics are crucial! Use numbers to substantiate the scale of the project you have managed or supported, and quantify the project’s success.
Data Scientist Job Opportunities
Job Hunting Tips from our Resident Headhunter
- Create a winning cover letter and send it along your resume. The cover letter will serve as an introduction about yourself and is a great venue to answer the question “Why should we hire you?”
- Be active on social media, particularly on LinkedIn. Make sure to create a strong online profile that represents you and you professional experiences. Here’s our comprehensive guide on writing a great LinkedIn profile.
Before You Go…
Before you start sending out applications, send us your resume for a free CV feedback analysis from our team. We’ll review your CV in detail, share personalised feedback on its strengths and weaknesses, and show you how you can improve it.