Here’s a sample resume we recently produced for a senior banking director in Malaysia.
SENIOR BANKING DIRECTOR
Tel No.: +60 12 XXXX XXXX | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org | Nationality: Malaysian
- Senior Director with exceptional 20-year record in delivering high-impact and strategically significant retail banking projects for firms such as Citi, BAML and DBS [This opening line perfectly captures a strong summary]
- Background in treasury, financial risk, sales and business development in consumer goods, healthcare financial institutions and public sectors [These are the exact phrases used in the job advertisement we are applying for. The HR Executive reading your CV may not have a banking background. Their understanding of the industry is limited. Ensure you use the language they’re familiar with, such as the phrases used in the job advertisement.]
- Leader in commercial negotiations and highly adept at identifying and capitalising on opportunities that result in streamlined processes, reduced costs and increased profits
- Proven record for selecting and building high-performing regional and cross-functional teams seen as best in industry
- Outstanding success in building solid relationships with C-level management
- Highly articulate and capable of translating complex ideas into actionable outcomes for clients
- Sought after public speaker with experience presenting at high decibel regional conferences
- Exceptional leadership skills, strong in driving change and capable of working round-the-clock to meet organisational objectives
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
|Financial Risk||Cost Management|
|Sales Management||Staff Development|
[Ensure the keywords here mirror those used in the job ad. The first round of vetting is often done by a software scanner. This section helps to pad the CV with key banking phrases necessary to get past those scanners.]
XYZ GLOBAL BANK, SOUTH EAST ASIA
- Directed a complex regional business spanning cash management, trade, foreign exchange and investments with annual revenues over US$1 billion across 19 countries [The opening line captures all the reader needs to know about this role]
- Work closely with team of 8 Senior VPs to analyse existing business and identify areas for revenue generation, attrition reduction and stronger client relationships
- Regularly network and build strong strategic relationships with senior management in US, Europe and Asian MNCs; regularly exchange best practices and identify synergistic partnerships
- Instrumental in re-acquiring corporate banking license for XYZ country after failed regulatory audit under previous management; conducted thorough internal audit, overhauled management team and installed strict internal controls to meet all regulatory standards
- Grew corporate FX solution product revenues by 250% over 3 year period through creation of new automated system to route bookings through most efficient route; broken even on multi-million dollar investment within 3 months of product launch [Cite metrics to substantiate your achievements. Do, however, be aware of your company confidentiality clause.]
- Drove selection and training processes to build highly capable team that was seen as best in industry; developed plans to ensure continued selection of high performance team members
- Achieved overall earnings growth of 40% for 2013 representing largest ever earnings growth in a single year for APAC business unit [More numbers mean more proof to support your performance]
EDUCATION & PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor of Science (Hons), Electronics, Computers and Systems Engineering, Imperial College, UK
- Technical Skills: MS Office Suite
- Languages: English, Bahasa Melayu, German, and Mandarin
- Availability: 1 month’s notice
References available upon request
[There’s no need to list your references; if HR is interested in you they will ask you for them.]
Want a winning CV like the Banking Resume Sample above Click the button below to get our full set of CV samples, delivered straight to your inbox!
Banking jobs are flourishing in Malaysia.
However, it doesn’t mean that bank professionals can easily get a job without representing himself in the best way possible.
With a huge competition in the banking industry, you need to create a banking resume that stands out and catches the attention of hiring managers.
Key Pointers Recruiters Look For In Banking Resumes:
- Your ability to deliver large organisational change
- Your experience in analysing markets and identifying areas of unmet demand
- Success in launching new divisions or products for both corporate and retail clients
- Growing revenues or profits for bank
Writing a Banking Resume
1. Resume Header
Ensure your header clearly states your Name, Email Address and Contact Number. There is no need to put your home address or identification number.
2. Executive Summary
The executive summary gives a quick overview of your work history. Here, we want to communicate your ability to deliver results. Do include a line or 2
3. Areas of Expertise
This section includes all the keywords resume scanning softwares often use. It’s important to place key terminologies here relevant to the job ad you’re applying for. Scan the job application and parrot back the key phrases they’ve mentioned into your resume.
Some other common phrases to include for in banking resumes are:
- Regulatory Compliance
- Client Relations
- Financial Tools and Analysis
- Branch Operations
- KYC Policy Compliance
- Risk Management
- Accounts Processing
4. Work Experiences
Always break your work experiences into 2 parts – your daily workscope and your achievements where possible.
For the daily workscope, include a high level summary with key words and metrics detailing your achievements. Workscopes which are implied can be omitted. Remember, you want to keep your resume short and sharp for the recruiter.
At the same time, you may wish to highlight your soft skills and areas of expertise that you have demonstrated throughout your employment. Indicate instances of leadership and include technical skillsets you possess.
Present yourself as someone who is able to keep on task and achieve substantial outcomes. You may wish to pace your resume by stating the people you have worked with and the collaborations you have managed.
5. Key Achievements
Your achievements section is critical to differentiating your application from that of your peers. Include projects which you have led and their resulting tangible business benefits. These benefits can be in the form of:
- Cost savings to the firm
- New revenue gains
- Better / Streamlined processes
- Awards received during tenure
Always tie back your projects to business benefits. This is what the hiring manager and employer want to see. Ultimately, they want to know you can bring great value to their organisation.
As far as possible do include metrics or numbers in your achievements. This helps to add substance to your resume and give the reader an objective view of your skills and abilities.
6. Education & Misc Information
Be sure to include your professional memberships, awards and certifications with you education.
Banking Job Opportunities
- Join LinkedIn groups or follow companies you wish to work for to keep abreast with new job openings.
- Alternatively, you can reach out to these headhunters in Malaysia to learn about any vacancies they may be trying to fill out.
Job Hunting Tips from our Resident Headhunter
- Create a winning cover letter and send it along your resume. The cover letter will serve as an introduction about yourself and is a great venue to answer the question “Why should we hire you?”
- Be active on social media, particularly on LinkedIn. Make sure to create a strong online profile that represents you and you professional experiences. Here’s our comprehensive guide on writing a great LinkedIn profile.
- Before you start sending out applications, get a free CV Feedback Session with our team.
More Useful Links
If you found this article useful, you might also like:
- How to Write a Winning Resume: Your Ultimate CV Guide
- How to Write a Cover Letter: Your Ultimate Cover Letter Guide
- How to Use LinkedIn to Find a Job: Your Ultimate LinkedIn Guide
- List of Headhunters in Malaysia
- Cover Letter Samples, Templates & Tips
- Downloadable Free Resume Templates
Back to Resume Samples, Templates & Tips
Free Confidential CV Discussion
Fill out the form to the below, and we’ll get in touch with you
to have a short discussion about your CV for the Malaysia job market.
We’ll ask questions about your career goals and point out areas where
you can improve your resume. Let’s have a candid discussion about
the CV writing services you need and see if we’ll be able to help.
The consultation is free and completely non-obligatory