Here’s a sample resume we recently produced for an advertising executive in Malaysia:
SENIOR ADVERTISING PROFESSIONAL
Tel.: +60 12 XXXX XXXX | Email: email@example.com | Nationality: Malaysian
- Seasoned advertising and marketing professional with 8 years of experience in developing award-winning advertising campaigns and digital assets for blue-chip clients such as Unilever, Coca-Cola, Nokia, and Yahoo
- Highly analytical mind with ability to understand unique client needs, assemble teams, propose solutions, and exceed client expectations
- Well versed in managing teams and partners in the advertising environment to deliver excellent products within budgetary and time constraints
- Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to relate to stakeholders across all levels
[This section gives a good helicopter view of the candidate. Briefly mentioning about key accounts you handled and campaigns you executed can provide a good initial impression on your profile.]
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
|Digital Advertising||Marketing Communications|
|Account Management||Brand Management|
|Project Scoping & Management||Client Relations
[Ensure the keywords here mirror those used in the job ad. The first round of vetting is often done by a software scanner. This section helps to pad the CV with key advertising phrases necessary to get past those scanners.]
ADVERTISING OFFICER Feb 2012 – Apr 2013
- Spearhead team of 3 staff in managing entire advertising campaign lifecycle of key clients, including Coca-Cola, Nokia, and Yahoo Malaysia. Oversee annual advertising budget of up to USD 1.5 mil, including planning, and allocation of advertising funds to meet clients’ business goals [This is the perfect opening line as it speaks about size of team, budget, and clearly states the focus of responsibility. In 1 line, the reader knows exactly the what the role is about.]
- Handle end-to-end account management for clients’ advertising requirements, including conceptualisation, production, and implementation of campaigns; communication and collaboration with clients’ sales and marketing departments; and monitoring progress of campaigns to generate monthly performance reports
- Review campaign status daily, mitigate underperformance, coordinate event execution, and establish KPI/targets for team members [Speak about management skills to boost your profile.]
- Liaise with external creative production houses to direct production of various creative assets and advertising storyboards [Highlight your creative know-hows.]
- Identify and resolve all creative and technical related issues, and correspond with customers to understand and address any and all complaints
- Serve as primary point-of-contact among clients, sales managers, creative designers, and respective platform owners
- Spearheaded conceptualisation and execution of multiple high-value advertising campaigns worth between USD 100’000 and USD 1 mil across digital, mobile, TV, and print platforms [Cite quantifiable metrics to support your achievements. Do, however, be aware of your company confidentiality clause.]
- Promoted to Senior Advertising Executive within 1 year of employment [Mention about promotions you’ve earned.]
- Negotiated with media suppliers to drive acquisition of value-adding deals; assisted in purchasing and monitoring advertising space and airtime of Unilever products on print, TV, and radio platforms. [Simple, clear overview of the job you previously done. Notice also how the remaining bullet point is shorter. No need to go into deep detail about more junior workscopes.]
- Coordinated with Finance & Buying departments and ensured implementation of cost-effective media buying strategies.
EDUCATION & PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor of Arts (Communication Design), Queensland University of Technology (Australia) | 2008
- Technical Skills: MS Office Suite, HTML, CSS, Core FTP, Adobe Photoshop
- Languages: English, Bahasa Melayu, Mandarin
- Availability: Immediately
References available upon request
[There’s no need to list your references; if HR is interested in you they will ask you for them.]
Want a winning CV like the Advertising Resume Sample above? Click the button below to get our full set of CV samples, delivered straight to your inbox!
As an advertising professional, how well can you sell yourself to hiring managers through your CV? How do you pitch your skills for a position you are qualified for?
Here’s our comprehensive guide on how to write an advertising resume, along with a sample CV we recently produced for an advertising executive.
Key Pointers Hiring Managers Look For In Advertising Resumes
- Your ability to pitch creative ideas and how successful these pitches are.
- Proven track record for closing and managing large-budgeted accounts.
- An extensive experience in growing clients’ businesses through fresh and creative advertising strategies, as well as cross-channel marketing opportunities
- Your knowledge in digital advertising and familiarity with online advertising platforms and tools
Additional Advertising Resume Writing Tips
- Advertising roles differ from one company to another. If you are planning to apply to both private companies and agencies, you may need to customise your CV according to the requirements of different employers. Do a little research and look closely at the type of advertising they focus on, as well as the brands they advertise.
- Speak about projects and campaigns you’ve successfully handled. If you can quantify the success of these accomplishments such as increase in sales or growth in revenue, highlight it on your CV to add strength to your profile.
Advertising Job Opportunities
- Join LinkedIn groups or follow companies you wish to work for to keep abreast with new job openings.
- Alternatively, you can reach out to these headhunters in Malaysia to learn about any vacancies they may be trying to fill out.
Job Hunting Tips from our Resident Headhunter
- Create a winning cover letter and send it along your resume. The cover letter will serve as an introduction about yourself and is a great venue to answer the question “Why should we hire you?”
- Be active on social media, particularly on LinkedIn. Make sure to create a strong online profile that represents you and you professional experiences. Here’s our comprehensive guide on writing a great LinkedIn profile.
- Before you start sending out applications, get a free CV Feedback Session with our team.
More Useful Links
If you found this article useful, you might also like:
- How to Write a Winning Resume: Your Ultimate CV Guide
- How to Write a Cover Letter: Your Ultimate Cover Letter Guide
- How to Use LinkedIn to Find a Job: Your Ultimate LinkedIn Guide
- List of Headhunters in Malaysia
- Cover Letter Samples, Templates & Tips
- Downloadable Free Resume Templates
Back to Resume Samples, Templates & Tips
Free Confidential CV Discussion
Fill out the form to the below, and we’ll get in touch with you
to have a short discussion about your CV for the Malaysia job market.
We’ll ask questions about your career goals and point out areas where
you can improve your resume. Let’s have a candid discussion about
the CV writing services you need and see if we’ll be able to help.
The consultation is free and completely non-obligatory