Here’s a sample Cover Letter we recently produced for a Product Manager in Malaysia.
In this article, you’ll learn:
- About the Product Manager Role
- What Hiring Manager Look For In Product Manager Cover Letter
- Product Manager Job Opportunities
- Job Hunting Tips from our Resident Headhunter
Product Manager Cover Letter [Full Sample]
Here’s a full Product Manager Cover Letter sample, which we wrote for a client recently.
[If you know the name of the Hiring Manager, personalise your application by addressing the person directly. Job ads on LinkedIn, for example, display the name of the person posting the ad.]
It is with great enthusiasm that I submit my application for the position of Product Manager at XYZ Co. Through my 5 year career, I’ve come to specialise in leading the end-to-end product development lifecycle for a wide range of financial and technology products for multiple industries. My deep know-how in the full product development process comes from extensive experience leading cross-functional teams in business case development, client collaboration and outlining product implementation roadmaps. By leveraging my expertise, I’ve closed 10 machine learning projects within 9 months for clients including 123 Co., 67 Group and MON Co. [Summarise your work experience as a product manager, which will help give the hiring manager an idea of what you can do. Cite an achievement with quantifiable metrics!]
- Presently, I am a Senior Associate Director/ Head of Products with ABC Tech, where I oversee a team of 25 product managers and engineers to conduct market research, identify prospective clients, build winning business cases and collaborate with clients to develop and launch profitable products. I also steer the development and implementation of our short and long term corporate business strategy and spearhead the setting up of companies to bring products to market. Among my achievements, I am most proud of launching 2 widely accepted machine learning products with another 4 products currently in the production pipeline. [Single out your best achievements. Providing metrics is key to substantiate your accomplishments and prove your abilities.]
With my engineering background and practical experience in developing product solutions, business development and client management, I’m positive that I’ll be able to contribute effectively to XYZ Co’s continued growth and performance, particularly in leading teams to identify potential market entry points and developing products that exceed client expectations. [Focus again on your top skills as required by the role or firm. Here, highlight key experiences that are directly relevant to the target role.]
I am thrilled at the possibility of being part of such a renowned firm, and would love the opportunity to meet with you and discuss the value that I can bring to XYZ Co. I appreciate your time and consideration, and I look forward to hearing from you. Please feel free to contact me at any time via mobile at +60 12 9876 2345 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. [Finally, cap your Cover Letter with a call-to-action – show your excitement to meet your potential employer, and provide ways you can be contacted.]
About the Product Manager Role
A Product Manager serves as the overall “in charge” of a product’s development – they’re responsible for driving the conceptualisation and development of products from end-to-end. Product managers play an important role in organisations whose main business revolves around designing, manufacturing, selling, and distributing physical or virtual products.
The role demands a strong ability to set a product vision and strategy, deep familiarity with the full product development lifecycle, leading cross-functional teams from product conception to launch, and exceptional communication skills.
An engineering background is a huge bonus, and will give candidates an edge for the Product Manager role, but it isn’t absolutely essential. Other typical career pathways taken towards becoming a Product Manager include user design, program management, marketing and business consulting.
The role is not limited to technical knowledge, and depending on the size of the team or organisational structure, can also include marketing, forecasting and profit and loss responsibilities.
What Hiring Managers Look for in Product Manager Cover Letters
While Product Management may include a variety of scopes, ensure you focus on your skills and experience that match the core demands of this position – show your ability to strategise and plan a product roadmap, working with various teams to build the product in line with the company’s business vision.
- Highlight your deep familiarity with the full product development lifecycle through specific projects you’ve led. These could include products you’ve conceptualised from scratch, or existing ones you’ve improved.
- People skills are key to this role. Highlight your skills in internal stakeholder management, and ability to communicate and work effectively with cross-functional teams, such as Product, Marketing, and Engineering.
- Single out your best achievements – metrics are crucial! Use numbers to substantiate the scale of the project managed, and quantify the products’ success.
Product Manager Job Opportunities
Job Hunting Tips from our Resident Headhunter
- Create a winning cover letter and send it along your resume. The cover letter will serve as an introduction about yourself and is a great venue to answer the question “Why should we hire you?”
- Be active on social media, particularly on LinkedIn. Make sure to create a strong online profile that represents you and you professional experiences. Here’s our comprehensive guide on writing a great LinkedIn profile.
Before You Go…
Before you start sending out applications, send us your resume for a free CV feedback analysis from our team. We’ll review your CV in detail, share personalised feedback on its strengths and weaknesses, and show you how you can improve it.
FREE CV ANALYSIS
Not sure your CV is up to task?
100% FREE and non-obligatory.