Here’s a sample resume we recently produced for a Civil Engineer in Malaysia.
In this article, you’ll learn:
- About the Civil Engineer Role
- What Hiring Manager Look For In Civil Engineer Resumes
- Civil Engineer Job Opportunities
- Job Hunting Tips from our Resident Headhunter
Civil Engineer CV [Full Sample]
Here’s a full Civil Engineer resume sample, which we wrote for a client recently.
- Professional Civil Engineer with solid experience in conceptualising strategic plans for infrastructure construction projects worth $100+ mil in Malaysia and China
- Excellent ability in developing cost-efficient solutions within the construction landscape, while delivering excellent safety and quality standards to meet business objectives
- Solid foundation in design processes throughout life cycle of infrastructure construction
- Excellent interpersonal skills with experience in communicating at all organisational levels with different educational backgrounds. Capable of building high performing teams with personnel from varied cultures
- Proactive team leader and strategic planner with ability to work within high pressure environments to meet deadlines while surpassing expectations
- Lead team of 400 staff in one of Malaysia’s leading construction conglomerate dealing in civil engineering & industrial construction projects. Manage annual revenues of USD $100mil USD. [The opening line captures all the reader needs to know about the role as it mentions the size of the team, annual budget, and type of firm the candidate is working for.]
- Direct engineering and construction projects and oversee full project lifecycle from studying customer needs, project scoping, tender submission, contract negotiation, project delivery, P&L management, regulatory fillings and final commissioning [These are the common phrases used by engineers.Make sure to throw in some jargons.]
- Facilitate active communication with Project Leads, Engineers, and Construction Managers; discuss and resolve engineering issues and ensure construction as per design standards and client expectations [This line demonstrates the candidate’s communication and coordination skills.]
- Successfully led ISO 9001:2008 certification for firm over 10-month period.
Client: Chevron, Malaysia
Role: Project Engineer
- Led construction of USD $10 mil secured housing project consisting of 40 houses over 52-week period
- Managed full spectrum of housing complex construction, including development of road networks, power supply, water supply, sewage treatment plant, water treatment plant, and townhouses
Client: China Tianchen Engineering Corporation, China
Role: Project Engineer
- In charge of all civil and mechanical works for newly built natural gas power plant in China
- Oversaw USD $10 mil project with 200 staff over 24 months. Successfully delivered project on time and within budget
- Liaised and communicated with clients and subcontractors to understand project requirements, timelines and constraints [Simple, clear overview of the job you previously done. Notice also how the remaining bullet points are shorter. No need to go into deep detail about previous workscopes.]
- Conducted close and methodical inspection of ongoing installation of reinforcing steel works, openings, waterproofing and formworks before government inspection
- Coordinated between mechanical and electrical teams on opening of various services
- Bachelor of Engineering (Hons), University of Malaysia | 2002
- Registered Clerk-of-Works, Building and Construction Authority of Malaysia
- Accredited Resident Technical Officer, Institution of Engineers, Malaysia
- Certificate in Building Construction Safety Supervisor Course, Ministry of Manpower, Malaysia
- Construction Safety Management Training Course, Land Transport Authority Malaysia
- Technical Skills: AutoCAD 2016, Autodesk Building Suite 2016, Autodesk Infrastructural suite 2016, Autodesk Robot Structural Analysis 2014, Chief Architect, Staad Pro / CSC Tedds / Tekla Structural Designer
- Languages: Fluent in English, Cantonese, and Mandarin
- Availability: 2 months’ notice
References available upon request
About the Civil Engineer Role
The oldest of all engineering fields, civil engineering started when man first learned to put roofs in their houses.
Today, the civil engineers represent human progress and modern civilization. They are responsible for the design, construction and maintenance of structures that propel economy – houses, buildings, roads, bridges, railways, dams, and underground projects such as subways, tunnels, waterworks, sewage and drainage. In all these examples of built structures, several disciplines of civil engineering are applied – structural, geotechnical, environmental, construction, water resources, transportation and materials engineering.
While no employer expects an applicant with extensive work experience in all major civil engineering projects, you should be able to drive the message you can handle diverse assignments in the future. Your resume should strongly reflect this to convince the potential employer of your capabilities and potentials.
What Hiring Managers Look For in Civil Engineer Resumes
- Strong and Solid Foundation in Civil Engineering: Safety will be foremost in the minds of employers when it comes to built structures. A candidate who is knowledgeable and capable in civil engineering principles will be one of the most important qualities the employer will look for in the applicant. Citing examples of past successful projects will help you drive the message you have got what it takes to get the job.
- Conceptual Skills: Another important aspect of a civil engineer’s work employers look for is style or building concept, which includes the functionality, economic and aesthetic angles of his work. Describing one’s completed projects particularly in these areas will indicate to a great extent your conceptual skills.
- Leadership Skills: Prospective employers will try to gauge your ability to be able to execute projects according to specifications, including quality and time requirements. Since successful execution of projects will involve the use of human resources, the hiring company will try to check your people skills. Describe examples of your leadership and coordinating skills in past projects you led or influenced.
- Capacity for Hard Work: Projects sometimes extend beyond normal working hours and engineers and workers are expected to beat important deadlines or meet milestone targets. In this case, personnel have to render extra time for work to make this happen. Citing instances of walking the extra mile in the name of project completion will be a plus in your application
- Do not forget to list in your resume the licenses and certificates for the technical skills you acquired relevant to your field. Include board license from the government and certifications for safety, environmental engineering, surveying, CAD, piping, welding, etc.
- Listing the civil engineering projects and describing the structures you worked with will give the hiring company a good feel for your capability.
Civil Engineer Job Opportunities
Job Hunting Tips from our Resident Headhunter
- Create a winning cover letter and send it along your resume. The cover letter will serve as an introduction about yourself and is a great venue to answer the question “Why should we hire you?”
- Be active on social media, particularly on LinkedIn. Make sure to create a strong online profile that represents you and you professional experiences. Here’s our comprehensive guide on writing a great LinkedIn profile.
Before You Go…
Be sure to download this resume sample, which uses our tested-and-proven resume writing techniques, as a guide for your own CV. Best part is, this sample is available for free 🙂
And before you start sending out applications, send us your resume for a free CV feedback analysis from our team. We’ll review your CV in detail, share personalised feedback on its strengths and weaknesses, and show you how you can improve it.
FREE CV ANALYSIS
Not sure your CV is up to task?
100% FREE and non-obligatory.